SECOND REGIMENT, EASTERN SHORE INFANTRY.
THE Second Regiment, Eastern Shore Infantry, was composed of
eight companies. The regiment was organized at Chestertown,
Kent County, Maryland, from October 2d to December 28, 1861,
to serve three years. On the expiration of its term of service the
original members (except veterans) were mustered out, and the
organization, composed of veterans and recruits, retained in service
until January 23, 1865, when it was consolidated with the 1st
Regiment, Eastern Shore Infantry.
Companies A, B, C, D and E were recruited in Kent County; Company F at Balti-
more City; Companies G and H in Harford County.
The regiment, after perfecting its organization, was assigned to special duty on the
Eastern Shore of Maryland and Virginia during the winter of 1861-62.
In March, 1862, the regiment was transported by boat to Baltimore, but in October,
1862, returned to the Eastern Shore of Virginia, and in the spring of 1863 were assigned
to duty on the lower Potomac.
In June, 1863, the regiment was ordered by General Schenck, in command of the
Middle Department, to proceed to Baltimore, in order to reinforce the Army of the Poto-
mac in repelling the invasion of Maryland by1 the Confederate Army under General
Robert E. Lee, as well as to protect Baltimore City from an attack.
The regiment joined General Lockwood's Brigade of the 12th Army Corps at Fred-
erick, Maryland, in July, 1863, during the pursuit of the enemy's army. After Lee's
Army recrossed into Virginia, the regiment was assigned to duty on the upper Potomac,
in Maryland and West Virginia.
The 2d Regiment, Eastern Shore Infantry, formed a part of General David Hunter's
Army, who advanced up the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia in May, 1864, and partici-
pated in the battles fought by that Army at Piedmont, Va., June 5, 1864, and at Lynch-
burg, Va., June 18, 1864, after the repulse of that Army at Lynchburg, Va., and its
retirement through the Kanawha Valley to the Ohio river.
The 2d Eastern Shore Infantry shared all the hardships and trials incident to that
march and retreat through the mountains of Western Virginia.
When the Army of Western Virginia moved eastward again and joined the 6th and
19th Army Corps, the 2d Eastern Shore Regiment came with them and participated in
the fight at Snicker's Gap, Va., July 18, 1864, and Winchester, Va., July 24, 1864.
The regiment remained in the Department of West Virginia until January 23, 1865,
when it was consolidated with the 1st Regiment, Eastern Shore Infantry.
The 2d Regiment, Eastern Shore Infantry, marched one thousand and forty-one (1041)
miles; they were transported by rail nine hundred and sixty-seven (967) miles, and by